If God is our father, the church is our mother. -- John Calvin
It is as impossible, unnecessary and undesirable to be a Christian all by yourself as it is to be a newborn baby all by yourself. The church is first and foremost a community, a collection of people who belong to one another because they belong to God, the God we know in and through Jesus.
The following are the bare minimum requirements for belief and practice as an Anglican Church.
The Chicago-Lambeth Quadrilateral
- The Holy Scriptures of Old & New Testament as the revealed Word of God.
- The Nicene Creed as the sufficient statement of the Christian faith.
- Two Sacraments: Baptism & the Lord’s Supper.
- The Historic Episcopate form of church government -- locally adapted.
Word & Sacrament
The two primary marks of a local congregation are:
- The preached Word.
- The partaking of the Sacraments.